Sunday 20 March 2011

Greetings from a local loon

Hello everyone, Rachel here, AKA: Scribbling Scribe.

As an only child for most of my early life, I learned to amuse myself by writing stories about mystery solving cats. I am an avid lover of adventures and I identify myself as an amateur ghost and treasure hunter. I have spent much of my time volunteering in a haunted Victorian mansion, which has provided lots of writing topics. I've moved around a lot, currently I'm a resident of the great state of Pennsylvania.

My life part one: I am currently a student, double majoring in English (Writing Emphasis) and Communications (Print Journalism). I also am an intern for my local newspaper, so writing is pretty much 90% of my day. If you are looking to learn about life, work for a small town paper for awhile. It's probably one of the most wonderful job experiences a person could ask for in the field of writing and I consider myself very lucky! I've met so many interesting people and have gotten to experience the behind the scenes of many events and social functions...not to mention that I have developed a deep love and respect for my town. I hope to work for a publishing company as an editor or agent and I strive to see my name on the bestseller list one day.

My life part two: My novel. I have been writing this odd beast of a book for about 5 years now and I hope to finish it in the next two. It is currently over 500 pages long and consumes much of my thoughts...and free will, haha. Feel free to ask me about it, but be warned you may regret it for I will never shut up. My writing style leans toward the Victorian dime novels with elements of the supernatural, mysterious and weird.


Things/writers/stuff that influences my writing:

  • Georgian Era
  • Victorian Era
  • Scary things
  • Marie Antoinette
  • Anne Rice
  • Neil Gaiman
  • J.R.R. Tolkien
  • Mary Shelley
  • Edgar Allan Poe
  • Oscar Wilde

I will be blogging about: Journalism experiences, my novel, whatever else comes to mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment